Important information regarding the use of
Indoor Tennis Facility during the COVID-19 period
ENTERING Salt Spring Tennis Centre
- The Facility is not open to bookings by the general public
- Only SSTA members who have read and agreed to the SSTA Wavier form (link), agreed to abide by the full restart protocols for play in the indoor tennis facility during COVID 19 (link) and have watched the demonstration video prepared by SSTA relating to these protocols (link), and have personally acknowledged this to SSTA via email to firstname.lastname@example.org, will be allowed to play. Please allow 2 days for the SSTA eligibility list to be updated before you book to play.
Brief outline of Court Protocols
- Users do so at their own risk, and are required to adhere to these measures:
- Practice 2-metre social distancing at all times.
- Do not enter the Green or Blue waiting areas until previous players have left.
- Only enter / exit where you play: either Ross or Elliott court.
- Play only with family members, persons living in your household, or individuals considered to be low risk and within your personal bubble.
- Bring your own personal wipes to sanitize all surfaces you touch.
- Sanitize your hands when entering and exiting the indoor courts.
- Sanitize your equipment (racquets, water bottles) and do not share.
- Avoid physical contact (shaking hands, high fives, etc).
- Each player must serve their own marked balls – ONLY same household players may share one can of balls.
- Return all others’ marked balls without hand contact.
- The person who opens/closes the overhead gates must sanitize their hands before and after.
- Depart immediately after your booking time elapses – sanitizing all surfaces touched.
- Wash your hands carefully with hand sanitizer after you have left.
Leave No Garbage
Note: Washrooms are for emergencies only.
Users are responsible to clean and sanitize them afterwards.
Salt Spring Tennis Association
The Salt Spring Tennis Association (SSTA) was established in 1979 to promote tennis on Salt Spring Island, BC and provide opportunities for tennis players to meet for healthy competition and social events.n
In 2010, Tennis Canada chose Salt Spring Island as the 'Tennis Friendly Community of the Year' for the whole of Canada! The Association is a member of Tennis BC and operates a junior program during the summer.
Tennis is played year round on Salt Spring Island – weather permitting - on courts supplied by the Salt Spring Island Parks and Recreation Commission.
By agreement, the SSTA uses the courts at Portlock Park for league play, an inter-club program with off-island tennis clubs, drop-in sessions and tournaments. During these events, three courts are used, leaving one available for use by anyone.
Salt Spring Tennis Centre Indoor Facility
For those rainy days or for those who wish to stay out of the hot sun, our public indoor tennis facility is available from 6am-11pm. The two tennis courts are located at 805C Lower Ganges Rd. (Salt Spring Golf & Country Club) at the far end of the driving range.
This fantastic facility was built by the Salt Spring Tennis Association for all tennis players on the island to enjoy. Visit our bookings page to register or log in, and reserve your time now.
What level tennis player am I? Have a look at the Tennis Canada Self Rating Guide to find out!
A Game Anyone?
Each year from the beginning of May until the wet fall weather sets in, the tennis courts at Portlock Park are reserved for drop-in tennis on various days. Anyone is welcome to play.
PUBLIC TENNIS COURTS
Portlock Park four outdoor courts located at the corner of Vesuvius Bay Road and Lower Ganges Road.
Due to Covid-19, SSTA will not be organizing drop in tennis on the public courts.
Please enjoy outdoor tennis at your leisure.
Private Coaching is available on Salt Spring Island. Check the Salt Spring Island Directory, the notice board
at Portlock Park, or contact SSTA member, and "Community Champion" for tennis on Salt Spring, Marianne Banman at (250) 537-5870.
Peter Schelling is also now available for coaching at all levels, clinics, private lessons, or drill sessions. He can be reached at email@example.com.